This gallery contains 6 photos.
Day before Thanksgiving and my family is gathering, painting the old Halloween pumpkins. Of course I have to put an unrelated cat in my design. He’s grateful for mice. And here are some of the other pumpkins: Happy Thanksgiving, people of the US! Advertisements
This gallery contains 2 photos.
Today’s cat was painted during a workshop for my work place. The assignment was to paint 1) one primary color that represents me 2) a second primary color near it that represents my coworkers 3) bring my color into the team color with strokes that represent my influence on them 4) use the third primary …
This gallery contains 3 photos.
“Make something that seems like it came from another era in history.” – Noah Scalin, 365: A Daily Creativity Journal Before starting… If it was nice out, I would have repeated the painting on a different rock – I’m happy with the horse, but not the lion. He’s too chubby and not quite positioned right. …
This gallery contains 4 photos.
Spent 12 hours today prepping and painting my new office/studio. I have missed working in quick cats while longer projects are underway in the background. So, speedy cats made out of primer and paint today. Silly and light and fun. And now they are gone and the walls solid color. And between layers of drying …
The assignment I followed today from “365: A Daily Creativity Journal” was to take something old and make it look new. I actually started working on this project about a week ago. I found an old sled and an old metal patio chair out in one of our barns, that could use some serious cleaning up and paint and thought I could paint a cat on one of them. But seeing as I’m working to keep projects a little shorter, I settled on this cat I bought for $1.00 at a thrift store – much smaller, less work and time involved.
And as I was totally indecisive about what pattern to put on him, I went with the cat most voted for yesterday – Tiger with stripes.
Napoleon stopped in to help. (His housemate, Chaos stopped in too. But he almost stepped in the oil paints and was banned from the table before a cute picture could be taken.)
And I broke out my oil paints and decided what colors to use. Acrylics would have been easier as they dry faster, but I have what I have. I picked a tetrad – red, yellow, green, violet. This was the first time mixing paints with a real goal in mind, so it was a good exercise to make the colors I wanted.Weird, half-finished cat with creepy double eyes.
And the finished product.It’s not a bindi, he has a hole in his forehead and tail – I suspect he once hung from a wire between them.I like that he’s bright and had a total makeover. Not sure I like the red and yellow. Maybe I could have done a triad of colors with green, violet and orange. Hmmm. I don’t see myself repainting him anytime soon, though. This took about 4.5 or so hours to set up, paint and clean up. Add photography time and posting… maybe 5.5 hours. I’m still not good at planning time, but I’m working on it. And working on choosing colors and mixing them. Learned I also need smaller oil brushes – had to use an old small watercolor brush for this. Overall, it was another project with lots of learning. Good times!
12/18/2011 This piece took 45 days to dry fully! Kept getting green and purple on my fingertips checking it. But it finally was dry on November 19, 2011.